The IBCD Toolkit is designed to equip counselors by providing the following:
- Biblical Teaching: an overview of a topic from the framework of several biblical genres
- Hope & Help for Counseling: hope, grounded in Scripture, that the Word of God speaks to the topic sufficiently, as well as practical tools to strengthen counseling skills
- Homework Inspiration: creative ideas for homework that will appeal to various learners and encourage heart-change in the counselee
For most effective use, consider the following suggestions:
- Use the data-gathering questions throughout the counseling relationship with your counselee, but especially in the first and second sessions, as a guide to help you develop specific, thoughtful questions.
- Spend time preparing for counseling by studying the teaching documents and reading the recommended Bible passages.
- Try to counsel using story, illustrations, and explanations. Make use of the various IBCD resources as your guide.
- Use the IBCD diagrams in counseling to help your counselee visualize the biblical text.
- Help counselees apply the Bible to daily life by assigning them specific homework assignments, using IBCD documents as a template.