Pre-Conference | Essentials
Everyone counsels. In daily life, people engage with one another regarding all types of circumstances. The question is, how do we communicate the word of God into these situations?
This year’s pre-conference will focus on what is essential for personal ministry by looking at God’s call of every Christian to love one another in the mess of life. We will explore the practical ways God equips every one of us to minister the gospel powerfully to one another, whatever the pain or struggle.
It will be recorded and introduced as IBCD entry-level curriculum for one another care, designed as a new resource that can be used by churches across the world.
Speaking with us will be Scott Mehl, who pastors Cornerstone Church of West LA, a multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, multi-generational church where he was a church-planter (2005) and then a church merger (2011). His ministry focuses include preaching, teaching, counseling, and leadership facilitation and development. Scott’s wife (Lara) and their four kids find it a joy to call West LA their earthly home, and have a deep love for the diverse people of the city.
Scott has a D.Min. In biblical counseling from Southern Seminary, is an adjunct faculty member at Eternity Bible College, a member of the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors, and has served on the Board of Directors for Claris Health. Scott speaks regularly on topics related to biblical counseling and discipleship.
Location: Tri-City Bible Church (Vista, CA)
Time/Date: 8:30am-3:30pm Thursday June 20th, 2019
2019 Institute | Identity Crisis
The IBCD Training Institute is the premier conference for strengthening the church in one another care. This year’s theme, “Identity Crisis,” is designed to offer hope to believers living with labels.
Everyone falls into some sort of identifiable category; Man/Woman, Husband/Wife, Sinner/Saint, Introvert/Extrovert; Black/White/Latino; but what do these labels actually mean? And how do they help us navigate our lives?
By showing others who they are in Christ we are able to help one another find true hope.
Location: Tri-City Bible Church (Vista, CA)
302 North Emerald Dr, Vista, CA 92083
Deepak serves as the Pastor of Biblical Counseling and Families at Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, DC. Deepak does individual and couples counseling, leads groups, develops the vision for the counseling ministry, and supervises the counseling team. He did his theological training at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (M.Div., Ph.D.). He is the author of On Guard: Preventing and Responding to Child Abuse at Church and The Pastor and Counseling: The Basics of Shepherding Members in Need.
Jeremy serves as Dean of Students, Associate Professor of Biblical Counseling, and directs the Ph.D. program in Biblical Counseling at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Dr. Pierre is co-author of The Pastor and Counseling and author of The Dynamic Heart in Daily Life: Counseling from a Theology of Human Experience. He has contributed to various books, including Christ-Centered Biblical Counseling and Scripture and Counseling. He currently serves as a pastor at Clifton Baptist Church.
Keith is the associate pastor of Grace Bible Church in Granbury, Texas, and the director of the Center for Biblical Counseling & Discipleship (CBCD). Dr. Palmer is a graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (B.S. Electrical Engineering), The Master’s Seminary (Master of Divinity), and The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (Doctor of Ministry). He is a Fellow (supervisor) and board member for the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors (ACBC). He is also an adjunct instructor in biblical counseling at The Master’s University (TMU) and a chaplain in the Civil Air Patrol, the auxiliary of the United States Air Force. He is married to Lisa and has three children, Alan, Aimee and Aric. His passion in ministry is teaching and ministering God’s Word, and seeing God transform the lives of His people as they apply and live the Truth.
Jim is the Director of the Christian Counseling program and Associate Professor of Practical Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, NC. He served in pastoral ministry for over thirty years in Southern California and Saudi Arabia. He has served as the director of IBCD since 2006. He is a Fellow and a board member of the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors (ACBC). Jim has been practicing biblical counseling since 1982.
Greg E. Gifford
Greg is is Assistant Professor of Biblical Counseling at The Master’s University. He holds a PhD in Biblical Counseling from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling from The Master’s University, and a BA in Pastoral Ministry from Baptist Bible College. Greg is also an Associate Pastor/Elder of Counseling at Faith Community Church in Newhall, CA where he leads the biblical counseling ministry of his church. Greg served as a Captain in the United States Army from 2008-2012 after which he transitioned to counseling ministry. His research interests are the influencing role of habits to desires and also Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. His book, Helping Your Family through PTSD, was released in August of 2017.
Rates & Dates
11/8/18 – 5/11/19
5/12/19 – 6/18/19
Six or more people receive a $25 discount per person. There are two ways to receive group discounts:
1. Either one person registers the whole group (the discount is automatically applied at checkout). Simply select the number of attendees that wish to attend as a group and proceed.
2. Or email [email protected] to be manually registered
Supporting Church Benefits
Varying with your tier level, Supporting Churches receive 2-6 free registrations, along with a $25 discount for all active members. This discount will appear when logged in as a Supporting member.
Email [email protected] to inquire about these benefits.
Are you a student or have you served in the military? Apply Now!
- A La Carte Options – after clicking ‘Register Now’ you will be able to choose the number of sessions you wish to attend. Additional sessions can be purchased on site during the conference.
- Group discounts may not be combined with the Student/Military Discount.
- Group discounts are available to individuals who have not yet registered.
- Group discounts not valid with Session Pass Options
- Registration prices are available through 11:59pm PST of the deadline date.
- Refunds will be processed (less a $20 admin fee) through June 9th, 2019, after which no refunds will be processed. Contact [email protected]
Schedule & More Info
Schedule Subject to Change
The 2019 Pre-Conference
8:30 am — Pre-Conference Registration Begins
9:00 am — (Scott Mehl) Session 1: The Calling of Every Christian
9:30 am — (Scott Mehl) Session 2: The Art of Gospel Care
10:15 am — Break
10:45 am — (Scott Mehl) Session 3: The Centrality of Love
11:15 am — (Scott Mehl) Session 4: Knowing One Another
11:45 am — Lunch
1:00 pm — (Scott Mehl) Session 5: Serving One Another
1:30 pm — (Scott Mehl) Session 6: Speaking to One Another
2:30 pm — Break
2:45 pm — (Scott Mehl) Session 7: Gospeling One Another (Part 1)
3:15 pm — (Scott Mehl) Session 8: Gospeling One Another (Part 2)
3:45 pm — Pre-Conference Ends
The 2019 Training Institute
5:00 pm — Conference Registration Begins
6:00 pm — (Deepak Reju) Session 1: I am Chosen
7:35 pm — Break
8:00 pm — Workshop 1
9:00 pm — Dismiss
8:30am Refreshments available
9:00am — (Jeremy Pierre) Session 2: I am a Sinner
10:45am Workshop 2
1:30pm — (Keith Palmer) Session 3: I am United with Christ
3:00pm Workshop 3
4:30pm Workshop 4
7:00pm — (Deepak Reju & Jeremy Pierre) Session 4: I am Sanctified
8:30am Refreshments available
9:00am — (Greg Gifford) Session 5: I am a Child of God
10:45am — (Jim Newheiser) Session 6: I will be Glorified
12:00pm Conference ends
Browse All Workshop Topics & Speakers
Thursday 6/21 | 8:00pm — Workshop 1
- Elyse Fitzpatrick “Who Am I?”
- Jonathan Rourke “Get Over Yourself!”
- Jenn Chen “I am Not My Ethnicity or Culture”
- Greg Gifford “As a Good Soldier of Christ”
- Brian Borgman “I am My Upbringing: Moving Beyond Family & Identity”
- Milton Vincent “Abounding in Hope and Able to Counsel”
- Curtis Solomon “I am Successful”
Friday 6/22 | 10:45am — Workshop 2
- Shannon McCoy “Keep Yourselves from Idols”
- Ernie Baker “I am Called to Ministry”
- Jim Newheiser “Defined by my Sexuality”
- Joy Forrest “I am Not a Victim: Overcoming Domestic Abuse”
- Milton Vincent “Be Not Wise in Your Own Eyes”
- Deepak Reju “I am Dating the Wrong Guy”
- George Scipione “You are Your Calling”
- Keith Palmer “How Christ Transforms Us in our Diseases and Disabilities”
Friday 6/22 | 3:00pm — Workshop 3
- Jim Newheiser “I am a Grandparent”
- Jeremy Pierre “I am Worthless: Overcoming Self-Hate”
- Joy Forrest “I am Not Scarred for Life: Overcoming Childhood Sexual Abuse”
- Eileen Scipione “Finding my Identity as a Biblical Counselor”
- Greg Gifford “The Beginning of Knowledge”
- Keith Palmer “Addiction, Identity, and the Gospel”
- George Scipione “You are Your Gender”
- Deepak Reju “I am a Porn Struggler”
- Caroline Newheiser “I am a Ministry Wife” (Women only)
Friday 6/22 | 4:30pm — Workshop 4
- Caroline Newheiser “I Am Not the Opinions of Others” (Women only)
- Greg Gifford “Fit for Duty”
- George Scipione “You are a Prophet, Priest, and King”
- Keith Palmer “Helping Abuse Survivors Find Identity in Christ”
- Ernie Baker “Counseling Systems and the Labels that Become Identity”
- Curtis Solomon “PTSD: Moving Past Trauma”
- Brian Borgman “I am my Ministry: Perspectives on Life and Calling”
- Jim Newheiser “I am not My Love Language”
Slides, Printable Posters & Advertisements
Flyers & Inserts
• Slide 1 – Identity – Main (1024×768)
• Slide 1 – Identity – Main (1280×720)
• Slide 2 – Identity – Speakers (1024×768)
• Slide 2 – Identity – Speakers (1280×720)
• Slide 3 – Precon – Main (1024×768)
• Slide 3 – Precon – Main (1280×720)
• Slide 4 – Precon – Speakers (1024×768)
• Slide 4 – Precon – Speakers (1280×720)
If you would like promotional packs shipped to you please contact [email protected] with your request.
Hampton Inn & Suites (12 min. from venue)
123 E Carmel St
San Marcos, CA, 92078
Hyatt Place – Vista (12 min. from venue)
2645 S Melrose Dr
Vista, CA 92081
West Inn & Suites (12 min. from venue)
4970 Avenida Encinas
Carlsbad, CA 92008
List of Restaurants Near Tri City
240 S Melrose Dr, Vista, CA 92081
Valeries Taco Shop
170 Emerald Dr, Vista, CA 92083
2010 Hacienda Dr, Vista, CA 92081
Pizza On Tap
1825 W Vista Way a2, Vista, CA 92083
620 Hacienda Dr Suite 101, Vista, CA 92081
3475 Marron Rd, Oceanside, CA 92056
401 Vista Village Dr, Vista, CA 92083
Upper Crust Pizza
4196 Oceanside Blvd Ste A, Oceanside, CA 92056
Felix BBQ with Soul
3613 Ocean Ranch Blvd, Oceanside, CA 92056
Uncle Tony’s (Italian)
770 Sycamore Ave #121, Vista, CA 92083
The Original Pancake House
435 S Melrose Dr #101, Vista, CA 92081
The Broken Yoke Café
101 S Las Posas Rd, San Marcos, CA 92078
Two Brother’s From Italy
4760 Oceanside Blvd, Oceanside, CA 92056
20 Main St #100, Vista, CA 92084
Restaurants on/near Vista Village Drive (exit 6b off of 78 E)
Chili’s Bar and Grill
255 Vista Village Dr, Vista, CA 92083
401 Vista Village Dr, Vista, CA 92083
The Yellow Deli
315 E Broadway, Vista, CA 92084
252 Vista Village Dr, Vista, CA 92083
328 Vista Village Dr Suite G, Vista, CA 92083
Shaks Mediterranean Bistro
406 Main St, Vista, CA 92084
40 Main St, Vista, CA 92083
30 Main St Ste 100, Vista, CA 92083
URBN Coal Fired Pizza
203 Main St, Vista, CA 92084