About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Jenilyn Swett about her book Singleness: Living Faithfully. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• Why is the topic of identity important to consider when discussing singleness?
• What are some unhelpful platitudes singles might hear frequently?
• What are some challenges and opportunities that are unique to singles in the local church?
• How can biblical lament help singles to express their feelings of grief, loneliness, anger, and disappointment?
• What is “ambiguous loss” and how might it apply it the context of singleness?
• Why is it important for singles to learn how to “talk back” to the self-pity they may be tempted to feel?
• How does Revelation 19:6-7 offer hope and perspective to single Christian men and women?
About the Guest
Jenilyn Swett (MDiv, Covenant Theological Seminary) is the director of adult ministries at Restoration Community Church (PCA) in St. Louis, Missouri.
About the Book
Singleness is not a problem or a waiting period―it’s a place where many of us live, and it offers unique blessings, challenges, and opportunities. Writing as a fellow traveler, Jenilyn Swett turns to Scripture to show how our identity in Christ, paired with a robust theology of singleness, gives us a vision for the single life, no matter how short or long it may be. Daily readings reflect on practical, emotional, and spiritual dimensions of faithful living as a single person. We are God’s children above all else―we find in him all the riches we need.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.
Related Resources from IBCD
- Helping Singles Think Biblically about the Past, Present, and Future (Craig Marshall)
- Helping People Through Romantic Breakups (Lou Priolo)
- Truths Same-Sex Attracted Christians Need to Hear (Sam Crabtree)
- Waiting: The Song of Songs on Singleness (Ian Duguid)