About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, Christine Chappell interviews David & Krista Dunham about their book, Table for Two: Biblical Counsel for Eating Disorders. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• What is it like to battle against an eating disorder?
• What are some common challenges a caregiver faces when trying to help someone with an eating disorder?
• In what ways can both the sufferer and the caregiver be tempted to self-sufficiency when battling against an eating disorder? How can this mentality be detrimental, or even dangerous?
• What are some of the physical consequences of an eating disorder that the sufferer and caregiver may be aware of?
• What is “compassion fatigue” and what can caregivers do to prevent it?
• How can you tell if someone with an eating disorder is ready to seek help? What can caregivers do if the person they love denies they have a problem?
About the Guests
David Dunham MDiv (The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary), is a pastor and biblical counselor at Cornerstone Baptist Church in Roseville, MI. He is the author of Addictive Habits: Changing for Good.
Krista Dunham has served as a women’s mentor, biblical counselor, and curriculum developer for various women’s and children’s ministries. She has a degree in early childhood education from Ohio University.
Breaking free from an eating disorder is difficult and complex. Those who are suffering often feel misunderstood. They struggle with feeling alone and afraid, ashamed to tell those closest to them. Their loved ones also feel helpless and ill-equipped to care for them. Within this dynamic, hurt, disappointment, and neglect often thrive. From the unique perspective of a husband and wife team, Table for Two shares Krista Dunham’s journey to freedom from her eating disorder while David shares insights as the loved one coming beside her.
Krista suffered from an eating disorder for over ten years and, by God’s grace and through biblical counseling, overcame it. She openly and honestly shares her experience, describing what she did, what she needed, and what proved helpful in the process of change. In conjunction with her insights, David shares what he did, how he failed, and what he learned along the way as a biblical counselor that was helpful to Krista.
Without minimizing complicated issues, the Dunhams provide practical, gospel hope and biblical encouragement to those suffering and help for loved ones walking with them. They share personal narratives, interactive exercises, and biblical direction for those navigating recovery. Individuals suffering from an eating disorder – and loved ones – will find practical help, hope, and encouragement in this couple’s story. Applying the truth of Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, they know two are better than one and understand the need to connect and jointly navigate the process together.
This powerful, redemptive book reveals an intimacy beyond personal stories of struggle told through a biblical counseling lens; it highlights the close-knit relationship of husband and wife and a home life where one person struggles with an eating disorder.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Listeners can expect to receive biblical wisdom as well as practical steps for facing suffering, struggling, and sin with courage and grace. Hosted by author/writer Christine M. Chappell.
Related Resources from IBCD
- Listening and Ministering to Eating Disorders (Scott Mehl)
- Counseling as if Life Depended On It: Anorexia (Martha Peace)
- Lies: Believing Them and Telling Them (Ed Welch)
- Basic Principals, Procedures, and Strategies for Counseling Addiction (Keith Palmer)
- Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave (Ed Welch) Part 1 | Part 2