About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Brad Hambrick about his book, Making Sense of Forgiveness: Moving from Hurt Toward Hope. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• Why is forgiveness one of the subjects where Christians are most prone to rush one another?
• What does—and doesn’t—it mean to extend forgiveness to someone?
• In what ways might we be tempted to leverage an offense against someone who has asked for our forgiveness?
• Is God’s forgiveness for us in Christ unconditional?
• What are four principals that can help us think wisely about the role that boundaries might play in the context of forgiveness?
• What does it mean that trust is a “proportional value” and how might acknowledging this be helpful to us as we seek to move forward in the process of relational reconciliation?
• Why do we often struggle with feelings of fear, anger, mistrust, shame, and even intrusive thoughts in the wake of extending initial forgiveness to someone who has wronged us?
About the Guest
Brad Hambrick, ThM, EdD, serves as the Pastor of Counseling at The Summit Church in Durham, NC. He also serves as Assistant Professor of Biblical Counseling at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, a council member of the Biblical Counseling Coalition, and has authored several books, including God’s Attributes: Rest for Life’s Struggles, and served as general editor for the Becoming a Church that Cares Well for the Abused curriculum.
About the Book
Making Sense of Forgiveness: Moving from Hurt Toward Hope
Clichés, glib answers, and quick solutions are shared all too often with those who are struggling to forgive or embrace forgiveness. We know Jesus calls us to forgive, but it can be hard to know what that looks like in complicated, messy relationships. Pastor and counselor Brad Hambrick helps readers to understand that forgiveness is the start of a journey that doesn’t erase the past, but honestly confronts hurt and clears the way for a hope-filled discussion on how to move toward healing.
Making Sense of Forgiveness speaks to those who are struggling by acknowledging the seriousness of their pain, explaining the difference between forgiveness and reconciliation, and helping readers understand the relationship between forgiveness and emotional freedom. The author explores the characteristics of God’s forgiveness toward us and how that shapes our own forgiveness.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.
Related Resources from IBCD
- When It’s Hard to Let Go: Helping Those Who Forgive (David Wojnicki)
- A Biblical Theology of Peacemaking (Ken Sande)
- When is it Sinful to Keep the Peace? (Mike Kelley)
- Pursuing Peace by Forgiving Others (Jim Newheiser)