About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, Christine Chappell interviews Tim Shorey about his book Respect the Image: Reflecting Human Worth in How we Talk and Listen. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• Why does how we define “humanness” ultimately decide the quality of our relationships and conversations with others?
• What are some fundamental theological truths that helpfully inform the way we listen and talk to others?
• How can believers in Christ become more mindful of their engagement on social media?
• What are some practical biblical suggestions that can help guide our conversations during disagreements/conflict?
• How do the Scriptures inform the way we approach the “Who” and “When” of peacemaking and reconciliation?
• How does the gospel of Jesus Christ keep us from falling into despair because of communication frustrations?
• What encouragements from the Scriptures can be given to someone who desires to grow in their ability to converse respectfully, but feels discouraged about their progress?
About the Guest
Tim Shorey has been in vocational pastoral ministry for 39 years, and is lead pastor of Risen Hope Church in Delaware County, PA. He has authored four books, including Respect the Image: Reflecting Human Worth in How We Listen and Talk (P&R Publishing) as well as his most recent book, An ABC Prayer to Jesus: Praise for Hearts Both Young and Old. He is married to Gayline, his wife of 43 years, and has six grown children and 13 grandchildren. You can find more information at www.timothyshorey.com and/or follow him on Facebook.
About the Book
Do you know who you’re talking to? All human beings are made in the image of God . . . but you wouldn’t always be able to tell by how we talk to them. And when it comes to listening, we’re even worse! The result? Hurt, misunderstandings, frustration, division, and sometimes all-out war.
Scripture says that human beings aren’t worms or weasels but rather wonders who are worthy of our time and respect. From that truth, we can draw important guidelines that will transform our conversations, relationships, and lives together. Pastor Tim Shorey blends the marvelous with the mundane, laying out a COMMUNICATE lifestyle built on eleven practical decisions we need to make when we converse. Whether you’re trying to repair a relationship, interact on social media, talk to your teen, or understand someone whose beliefs differ wildly from your own, there is hope!
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Listeners can expect to receive biblical wisdom as well as practical steps for facing suffering, struggling, and sin with courage and grace. Hosted by author/writer Christine M. Chappell.
Related Resources from IBCD
- Caring Words or Crushing Words? Helping People Speak Wisely and Graciously (Jim Newheiser)
- Overcoming Abusive Speech (Jim Newheiser)
- Peacemaking: The Supreme Display of God’s Glory (Ken Sande)
- Language that Transforms (Darrell Gutsafson)