About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Tim Challies about his book, Seasons of Sorrow: The Pain of Loss and the Comfort of God. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• How does grief impact us as embodied souls?
• Why is it so difficult to articulate our pain and emotion in seasons of sorrow?
• Why might we sometimes feel afraid of God after loss? How can we process this kind of fear?
• What are the dangers of comparing our grief journey to someone else’s?
• How can we process the anxiety that comes from feeling like something bad is about to happen again?
• What can we do with the love that’s left in our hearts for the person who died?
• How does the hope and help of Jesus Christ comfort someone who feels like they are drowning in grief?
About the Guest
A pastor, noted speaker, and author of numerous articles, Tim Challies is a pioneer in the Christian blogosphere. Tens of thousands of people visit Challies.com each day, making it one of the most widely read and recognized Christian blogs in the world. Tim is the author of several books, including Visual Theology and Epic: An Around-the-World Journey through Christian History. He and his family reside near Toronto, Ontario.
About the Book
On November 3, 2020, Tim and Aileen Challies received the shocking news that their son Nick had died. A twenty-year-old student at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, he had been participating in a school activity with his fiancée, sister, and friends, when he fell unconscious and collapsed to the ground.
Neither students nor a passing doctor nor paramedics were able to revive him. His parents received the news at their home in Toronto and immediately departed for Louisville to be together as a family. While on the plane, Tim, an author and blogger, began to process his loss through writing. In Seasons of Sorrow, Tim shares real-time reflections from the first year of grief—through the seasons from fall to summer—introducing readers to what he describes as the “ministry of sorrow.”
Seasons of Sorrow will benefit both those that are working through sorrow or those comforting others:
• See how God is sovereign over loss and that he is good in loss
• Discover how you can pass through times of grief while keeping your faith
• Learn how biblical doctrine can work itself out even in life’s most difficult situations
• Understand how it is possible to love God more after loss than you loved him before
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.