The Pre-Conference | PTSD
Ministering to PTSD
The horrors of war, traumatic events, and the evil in this world produce fear, anxiety, and a desire to fight or flight. These God-given responses are designed to help protect us from danger or harm. Yet occasionally, when the danger subsides and the threat no longer exists, some people continue to relive the devastation. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can affect men and women who have served in the military, but it may also touch the life of anyone who has endured a shocking or frightening experience.
How does the Bible speak to this overwhelming condition? Join us June 21, 2018 at the Summer Institute to hear Curtis Solomon and Greg Gifford discuss how God’s Word graciously ministers to those who suffer with PTSD.
Curtis Solomon & Greg Gifford
Demystifying PTSD | Curtis Solomon
PTSD as an Interpretive Phenomenon | Greg Gifford
Helping the Individual Through PTSD | Curtis Solomon
Helping the Family Through PTSD | Greg Gifford
Curtis serves as Director of the Biblical Counseling Coalition. He is a certified member of the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors. He received a B.A. in Biblical Studies from The Master’s University and an M.Div. in Christian Ministries from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary where he is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Biblical Counseling. As an Air Force veteran Curtis is passionate about his dissertation topic which applies the truth of God’s Word to help those struggling with PTSD.
Greg is Assistant Professor of Biblical Counseling at The Master’s University. He is a PhD candidate in Biblical Counseling at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, holds a Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling from The Master’s University. He has worked as both a full-time biblical counselor and associate pastor before joining the TMU faculty. Greg also served as a Captain in the United States Army from 2008-2012 after which he transitioned to counseling ministry. His book, “Helping Your Family through PTSD”, was released in August of 2017.
The 2018 Institute
Loving Wayward Souls
What do you do when someone you love leaves? And how do you pursue someone who has hurt you, who has sinned against you?
Whether you are dealing with an unfaithful marriage partner, a rebellious child, or a wayward friend, the counsel you offer needs to be pursued in a gospel-rooted approach, grounded in truth and practiced in the midst of Christian community.
While each situation is unique, our stories often deal with common themes of shame, guilt, confusion, uncertainty, and struggle. You will learn how to practice “redemptive release” through confrontation and discipline as well as how to forgive the person who has hurt you through a process of reconciliation. You will also be equipped to help others struggle to find their way in dealing with their own wayward souls and reminded of the hope of the gospel and the necessity of depending upon the Holy Spirit through prayer for yourself and those whom you are counseling.
Dave Harvey is president of Sojourn Network, teaching pastor at Summit Church in Fort Myers/Naples, Florida, and founder of AmICalled.com.
He has also authored several books, including When Sinners Say I Do: Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage (Shepherd’s Press, 2007), and Letting Go: Rugged Love for Wayward Souls (Zondervan, 2016) with Paul Gilbert.
Tim is a Christian, a husband to Aileen and a father to three children. He worships and serves as one of the pastors at Grace Fellowship Church, where he primarily gives attention to mentoring and discipleship. He is a blogger at challies.com, book reviewer for WORLD magazine, co-founder of Cruciform Press, and he has written five books including Sexual Detox: A Guide For Guys Who Are Sick of Porn (Cruciform Press, 2010), Visual Theology: Seeing and Understanding the Truth about God (Zondervan, 2016).
Dr. Zack Eswine serves as Lead Pastor at Riverside Church and serves as Director of Homiletics for Covenant Theological Seminary in Saint Louis Missouri.
His award-winning writings about honest questions and ministry, human sorrows, and hope, flow out of his local life following Jesus as a pastor, husband, and father.
Dr. James (Jim) Newheiser, Jr., is the Director of the Institute for Biblical Counseling and Discipleship (IBCD) and the Director of the Christian Counseling Program at RTS Charlotte.
He is also the Associate Professor of Christian Counseling and Practical Theology at RTS Charlotte and an Adjunct Professor of Biblical Counseling at The Master’s College.
With Additional Workshops By
Scott Mehl, George Scipione, Caroline Newheiser, Curtis Solomon, Ann Maree Goudzwaard,
Eileen Scipione, Greg Gifford, Elyse Fitzpatrick, Tom Maxham
Rates & Dates
11/8/17 – 5/8/18
5/9/18 – 6/19/18
Six or more people receive a $25 discount per person. There are two ways to receive group discounts:
1. Either one person registers the whole group (the discount is automatically applied at checkout). Simply select the number of attendees that wish to attend as a group and proceed.
2. Or email email@example.com to be manually registered
Are you a student or have you served in the military? Apply Now!
- A La Carte Options – after clicking ‘Register Now’ you will be able to choose the number of sessions you wish to attend. Additional sessions can be purchased on site during the conference.
- Group discounts may not be combined with the Student/Military Discount.
- Group discounts are available to individuals who have not yet registered.
- Group discounts not valid with Day Pass Options
- Registration prices are available through 11:59pm PST of the deadline date.
- Refunds will be processed (less a $20 admin fee) through June 9th, 2018, after which no refunds will be processed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule & More Info
The 2018 Pre-Conference
8:30 am — Pre-Conference Registration Begins
9:00 am — Demystifying PTSD – Curtis Solomon
10:15 am — Break
10:45 am — PTSD as an Interpretive Phenomenon – Greg Gifford
11:30 am — Lunch
1:00 pm — Helping the Individual Through PTSD – Curtis Solomon
2:00 pm — Break
2:15 pm — Helping the Family Through PTSD – Greg Gifford
3:30 pm — Pre-Conference Ends
The 2018 Institute
5:00 pm — Conference Registration Begins
6:00 pm — Profile of a Prodigal – Dave Harvey
7:35 pm — Break
8:00 pm — Workshop 1
9:00 pm — Dismiss
8:30am Refreshments available
9:00am — Rugged Love for The Wayward Soul – Dave Harvey
10:45am Workshop 2
1:30pm — The Lost Sheep – Tim Challies
3:00pm Workshop 3
4:30pm Workshop 4
7:00pm — A Fool’s Story: From Simple-ism to Hope – Zack Eswine
8:30am Refreshments available
9:00am — The Gospel Divides Families – Jim Newheiser
10:45am — Faith For Waiting – Dave Harvey
12:00pm Conference ends
Browse All Workshop Topics & Speakers
Thursday 6/21 | 8:00pm — Workshop 1
- Counseling Sexual Struggles in Marriage – Scott Mehl
- The Guilt of Sexual Abuse Trauma: The Sinner and the Sinned-Against – Greg Gifford
- Sage Presence: The Welcome Wisdom Offers – Zack Eswine
- Finding the Love of Jesus from Genesis to Revelation – Elyse Fitzpatrick
- How to Counsel a Prodigal – George Scipione
Friday 6/22 | 10:45am — Workshop 2
- Departures, Desertions and Leadership Suffering – Dave Harvey
- Sage Listening: The Talk Wisdom Uses – Zack Eswine
- Practical Issues in Church Discipline – Jim Newheiser
- Ministering to Families with Disabilities – Curtis Solomon
- Yours They Were: The Covenant of Redemption and Wayward Children – Ann Maree Goudzwaard
Friday 6/22 | 3:00pm — Workshop 3
- Great Men and Their Godly Moms – Tim Challies
- Helping Survivors of Combat Trauma – Curtis Solomon
- Sage Healing: The Remedies Wisdom Trusts – Zack Eswine
- A Mother’s Story of Prayer and Fasting for Her Prodigal – Caroline Newheiser
- How to Counsel a Fool – George Scipione
- The Gospel and Mental Health – Scott Mehl
Friday 6/22 | 4:30pm — Workshop 4
- Getting Things Done Like a Christian – Tim Challies
- How to Say “No”: Managing Counselee Expectations – Tom Maxham
- Dealing with Wayward Parents – Jim Newheiser
- The Centrality of Love for Counseling – Scott Mehl
- How to Counsel a Dangerous, Divisive People – George Scipione
- Keeping Your Faith and Sanity with a Prodigal Child – Eileen Scipione
Slides, Printable Posters & Advertisements
If you would like promotional packs shipped to you please contact email@example.com with your request