About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, Christine Chappell interviews Nate Brooks and Anna Mondal about their mini-book, Help! Our Sex Life is Troubled by Past Abuse. Some of the issues discussed in this interview are:
• The lingering physical, emotional, and spiritual effects experienced by someone who has been victimized by sex trauma and how they affect marital intimacy.
• How biblical narratives speak to the evil of sexual abuse.
• Biblical principles to compassionately engage a spouse who has experienced sexual abuse in their past.
• Practical suggestions for victimized spouses to take incremental steps toward fostering sexual intimacy with their spouse.
• How to set realistic expectations for the journey ahead.
• Biblical encouragements for both spouses to take heart and have hope that God can restore this area of their marriage relationship.
About the Guests
Nate Brooks (Ph.D.) serves as the Assistant Professor of Christian Counseling at the Charlotte campus of Reformed Theological Seminary. Nate, his wife Kate, and their children live on their mini-farm in Rock Hill, South Carolina, raise meat rabbits, and attend Lake Wylie Baptist Church. (BCC Articles by Nate)
Anna Mondal (MABC) serves as a soul care provider, working primarily with women who are recovering from abuse. She and her husband are members of New Life Presbyterian Church, and live in San Diego, California, where they spend most weekends enjoying the beach. (BCC Articles by Anna)
HELP! OUR SEX LIFE IS TROUBLED BY PAST ABUSE • Victims of sexual abuse know the pain doesn’t go away when the abuse stops. A couple’s sexual relationship within the covenant of marriage is not immune to the continuing impact of past sexual abuse of one spouse. This sensitively written mini-book offers understanding of the issues for both spouses, practical steps you can take together toward growth, and above all hope in the God who makes all things new and desires your flourishing and freedom for his glory.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Listeners can expect to receive biblical wisdom as well as practical steps for facing suffering, struggling, and sin with courage and grace. Hosted by author/writer Christine M. Chappell.
Related Resources from IBCD
- PTSD: Moving Past Trauma (Curtis Solomon)
- I am Not Scarred for Life: Overcoming Childhood Sexual Abuse (Joy Forrest)
- Helping Abuse Survivors Find Identity in Christ (Keith Palmer)
- Bringing Healing to Marriages Broken by Sexual Sin (Jim Newheiser)